Best Pressure Cooker Reviews and Buyers Guide for 2018
I aim to provide a site with impartial pressure cooker reviews.
Because as a chef, I know that pressure cookers are a fantastic way to save time and money while preparing healthy and affordable homemade meals. The best are not just for tenderizing and for cooking stews they can also help you create your favorite comfort foods quicker than it would be done in a regular pot while keeping the fabulous flavors you love.
Using a pressure cooker has many advantages, and there are a plethora of models on the market. They not only cut your cooking time down but work to preserve more of the vitamins and nutrients in your food which is lost with other methods of cooking. Additionally, the decreased cooking time leads to saving on your electricity bill. It’s better for your pocket and the environment.
Here you will find the information necessary to help you find the best electric pressure cooker for your needs. With many brands to choose from and many features that may be necessary or not, we will help you narrow down what’s important based on your requirements.
I also recommend that you check out buyers’ reviews on Amazon of the Top 10 pressure cooker brands.
Why Use an Electric Pressure Cooker?
SAVES YOU TIME
- Foods cooked in a pressure cooker will cook anywhere from 3 to 10 times quicker than other cooking methods.
- A pressure cooker enables you to cook an entire meal in one pot without the flavors intermingling.
The cooker also allows you to precook some foods and then finish cooking them via other methods such as when tenderizing meats or lentils and beans. Yes, pressure cookers help you to get your meals to the table a lot faster than your regular pot will.
RETAINS FLAVORS & NUTRIENTS
- Because a pressure cooker cooks food quickly and with just a little bit of liquid while trapping all the steam inside, it retains nutrients and flavors.
The environment inside the pressure cooker is almost airless and as such the food reabsorbs any nutrients that it loses during cooking. The same goes for flavor – because the cooking environment does not allow for the loss of steam, flavors are not boiled off but, instead, they are reabsorbed into the foods and into any juices left in the pot after cooking.
A SAFE WAY TO COOK
- Modern pressure cookers have some safety features.
- Safety was a big issue with older models of pressure cookers, but you don’t have to worry about your pressure cooker exploding.
Many pressure cookers nowadays have not one but multiple safety features. Some pressure cookers have visual indicators which show the pressure inside the pot as well as self-locking handles that cannot be opened unless the pressure inside is at a minimum. There are also pressure relief systems that help to release pressure if the interior pressure gets too high.
- You know that old saying that time is money? The same is true with pressure cookers; they save time and thus save money.
- When you cook faster, you lessen the use of electricity, and so you save money on your energy bills.
Since food is cooked at high temperatures, you can now purchase budget cuts and still get them to be tender and tasty thus saving you money again. So using a pressure cooker helps you to save money in more than one way. Why keep a slow cooker on all day if a pressure cooker can do the work within 20 minutes?
What to Look For When Buying a Pressure Cooker
There are different types of pot. There is the old type as well as the second generation and the electric pressure cookers.
The old type is the pressure cooker your grandmother used which had only one pressure level and a weight on top. This type of pressure cooker is not very popular on the market today since they are clunky and are less safe than newer models.
Second generation and electric models are more popular because they have more than one pressure setting which allows you to modify the interior temperature of the cooker, which gives you a lot of options so you can cook many different kinds of foods in your pressure cooker. We strongly recommend going with an electric model.
Once you decide what type is right for you, you can now take a look at sizes. The most popular pressure cooker sizes are 4 quarts, 6 quarts and 8 quarts and this refers to the liquid capacity of the cooker.
Singles or couples-only households will be fine with a 4-quart pressure cooker. This size is suitable for preparing a whole meal for one or two people.
The 6-quart pressure cooker is the most popular with most pressure cooker recipes designed for this size. This is the size you would choose for average family size.
If your family is larger than five members or if you cook for other purposes than for your household you would want to get an 8-quart pressure cooker.
There are even large pressure cookers as well to include 16 quart, 18 quart, and 23-quart models for commercial cooking and canning.
As with any other purchase, the brand of your pressure cooker is important. There are of course many pressure cooker manufacturers on the market. You will want a pressure cooker that will give you some years of service.
The option for the brand is totally up to you, but you will want to keep some pointers in mind.
Choose a brand that has been manufacturing pressure cookers for some years and who have seen success in the pressure cooker market. You want to purchase a brand from a reputable retailer so when you need servicing and parts you can easily get them.
Also, ensure the brand you choose has been approved by an independent testing organization as this will tell you that your pressure cooker has met or exceeded performance and quality standards.
Reviews of my Top 5 Pots
Instant Pot IP-DUO60
The Instant Pot DUO60 is a 6-quart electric pressure cooker suitable for those who love the art of slow cooking. This stylish, programmable pressure cooker is one of the best selling pots on the market at the moment. The pressure cooker does not only meet your standards but also ensures that you are productive in your everyday living because it saves time. It has a rating of only 100W meaning that it does not consume a lot of electricity. With the 14 built-in smart programs and control panel, it is easy to use. It is a 7-in-1 multi-functional cooker which performs the functions of a steamer and warmer, rice cooker, browning, slow cooker, pressure cooker, and even a yogurt maker.
Features of the Instant Pot IP-DUO60
This pressure cooker can give you excellent rice and rump roast all in the same pot. The pressure cooker is made of stainless steel which makes it lasts long and easy to clean. It has a recipe book and a manual in 4 languages (Spanish, Chinese, English, and French).
- Safety. The craftsmanship and the materials used to make this product minimizes risks in the kitchen. It has ten safety mechanisms which are proven and tested within its microprocessor controlled programs to provide the necessary safety.
- 7-in-1 computerized multi-function. The pressure cooker can perform seven different functions hence minimizing the costs of having to purchase different appliances for the kitchen. It can perform other functions like other kitchen appliances such as a steamer, slow cooker, and warmer.
- Simple user interface and easy to use. The unit is quite easy to use because it is operated by just a push of a button. You can cook a variety of recipes as you wish. It cooks almost all types of foods easy and fast. It has ten built-in smart programs which can be adjusted in 3 modes. The pressure cooker has three distinct modes which are ideal for thickening.
- 6QT Inner Pot capacity. With this inner capacity, the cooker can adequately provide food for the average family size. The pressure cooker is ideal for cooking meals such as chicken, pot roasting, and steaming vegetables.
- 2nd generation technology. Through the use of this technology, the pressure cooker gives dependable results. It is equipped with a microprocessor that monitors the pressure and the pot’s temperature. It adjusts the heating intensity and keeps a record of time.
Advantages of the Instant Pot IP-DUO60
- Complete accessories. When you purchase Instant Pot IP-DUO60 Pressure Cooker, you acquire a complete package. This will include the user manual that presents the instructions. The recipe book is also available and comes with a rice paddle, measuring cup, a soup spoon, and a stainless steel made cooking pot.
- Time, energy and cost efficient. The seven-in-one multi-function ensures that you cook faster. It speeds up cooking by 3-6 times and uses less energy. The cooker produces nutritious, healthy food in a consistent and convenient fashion. The pressure cooker keeps your food warm until you are ready to serve. It has been designed in such a way that you will find it easy to clean.
- Warranty. The Instant pot IP-DUO60 7-in-1 programmable pressure cooker comes with one year warranty from the manufacturer.
Things to Watch out For
Some users noted that it is difficult to use for cooking pasta. Thus, you need to change your recipe to fit the use of stainless steel vs. non-stick.
The Instant Pot IP-DUO60 7-in-1 Programmable Pressure Cooker is easy to understand and program and provides you and yours with quick and tasty meals right at home.
This pressure cooker is designed with an elegant black color and is made of stainless steel. Its size allows you to cook for a family of 6 members. The most impressive thing that you will enjoy about it is that it is seven times faster than traditional stovetop cooking methods. Its multiple functions will allow you to cook foods using different styles. This includes high or low-pressure cooking, warming, browning, and simmering. Using the LED count display, you are in a position to delay the cooking time from 0 to 99 minutes.
Features of the Cuisinart CPC-600AMZ
The Cuisinart CPC-600 pressure cooker traps all the steam inside and ensures that it creates pressure to increase the speed at which food is cooked. The presence of the tight seal locks in vitamins, flavor, moisture, and minerals in your foods. This means you will make healthy and outstandingly tasteful meals.
- Simple control panel. The control panel enables you to set up your cooking and continue with your daily chores. You can set it up and continue with other household tasks while the food cooks. All you need to do is program it, and you do not need to remain in the kitchen. Once the food is ready, the unit automatically switches off.
- Thermostat. The thermostat is very instrumental in ensuring that the food cooks at the required temperature. It enables the pressure cooker to adjust the temperature as necessary to remain constant for the particular food that is being cooked. It maintains the preset pressure and changes to the keep warm setting when the food has cooked up to the number of minutes that you have specified. It also traps steam inside the cooker which escalates pressure levels to cause higher temperatures.
- Digitally controlled push buttons. The push button enables you to control the unit systematically. The button is efficient and convenient to use. The push button is used in connection with the easily legible display. The programmed configurations help you to get rid of any lingering uncertainties when it comes to some food items.
Advantages of the Cuisinart CPC-600AMZ
- Two pressure-cooking settings. The two pressure settings ensure that there is a balance between high and low-pressure. You can adjust the pressure according to the kind of food or how long you want your food to take to cook. It is also sealed to, and thus, it requires less liquid to cook food fully.
- Easy to clean. The Cuisinart CPC-600 pressure cooker has a removable non-stick pot that allows you to clean it out in the sink. It is also made of stainless steel that is easy to wipe and clean after use. This promotes healthy eating.
- Settings are easily adjusted. Using the push-button and the control panel; you can easily adjust the system. Additionally, pressure does not build up easily because of the seal. This makes it safe compared to the traditional pressure cookers. It is also extremely quiet during cooking.
Things to Watch out For
Users should note that it is not suitable for canning and its instruction guide is not very detailed.
The Cuisinart CPC-600 6-Quart pressure cooker is one of the bestselling models. With this cooker you will experience better, healthier and a faster way of cooking.
Deciding to buy this pressure cooker will give your guests and family an appetizing, nutritious and delicious meal. The unit allows you to trap steam, hence, sealing in nutrients and cooking the food evenly. It comes with a vent that allows steam to escape for safety purposes. You can cook a wide variety of meals which include vegetables, delicious risotto, meat, and chicken. The pressure cooker is elegant and versatile. Steam comes out from the top to prevent the buildup of pressure and explosion.
Features of the Elite EPC-1013
The Elite EPC-1013 Platinum Electric Pressure Cooker possesses high quality and unique features. When you purchase the cooker, you will acquire a manual that gives you guidelines on how to use it.
- 24 Hour delay timer. When using this timer, you can regulate your food to cook within a specific period. The timer gives you the ability to carry out other errands as the food cooks and who couldn’t do well with a little multi-tasking? The cooker also keeps the food warm for a long period. It also allows you to set the cooker time. You can program it to start to cook at a later time so that when you get home, your dinner is freshly cooked.
- 8 Multifunction. The pressure cooker performs eight specific functions. It can cook different foods such as rice, fish and vegetables, beans and grains, desserts, pork, potatoes and yams, and soup & stew.
- LED Display. The unit contains an LED display which allows you to regulate the pressure and heat while taking out the guess work. You can see everything there on display and know exactly what is happening inside the pressure cooker through the LED display.
- 1400 power watt. Although the unit performs different functions at once, it is very energy efficient. It balances the pressure and heat to ensure that it saves energy.
- Auto float valve. This feature allows the cooker to lock automatically when food is cooking. This is a great safety feature so that the unit cannot open by accident and cause any burns to you or a family member etc.
Advantages of the Elite EPC-1013
- Saves time. If you are busy, and you do not have time to stay in the kitchen, all you need to do is to use the present functions and continue with the other activities. Additionally, its 8 Multifunctional features enable the users to prepare eight different types of meals. It also has a reheating feature that warms up the food after a given period.
- Keeps the food warm and taste intact. The unit provides you with a platform to be able to cater to the needs of your family and your guests. This is because the reheating function keeps the food warm which is very handy when you are entertaining.
- Programmable. Using the 24-hour timer, you can set the pressure cooker so that the food starts to cook at a later time. You do not have to worry about getting a stove or an electric cooker because you have the pressure pot that can be programmed. All you need to do is to close the lid and program it to your desired needs.
- Browning function. This function allows your meat to brown with the best flavors coming out making the end product simply irresistible.
Things to Watch out For
Users should note that this pressure cooker requires a lot of space for storage. This is because it weighs 17 pounds with a 16-inch height. It’s a big boy, but well worth making space in your pantry for.
The Elite EPC-1013 Platinum Electric Pressure Cooker uses a preset function to cook delicious meat, chicken, vegetables. It truly satisfies all your cooking needs.
Instant Pot IP-DUO50
The Instant Pot IP-DUO50 pressure cooker uses up to 70 percent less energy than traditional cooking methods. It also speeds up your cooking time by five times. Using the instant pot ensures that you produce nutritious, healthy food in a consistent and convenient fashion. It can perform different functions such as yogurt maker, steamer, warmer, slow cooker, and pressure cooker. This 3rd generation pressure cooker will keep your food warm until you serve it.
Features of the Instant Pot IP-DUO50
The 3rd generation Instant pot is an improvement of the 2nd generation models. Some of the features that have been added include low pressure; simmer setting, and a float valve. The new design has fantastic features that are designed to make life easier.
- Ease of use. The instant pot IP-DUO50 7-in-1 programmable pressure cooker is built with a user-friendly control panel. You can cook all kinds of foods with this unit. You can set the time and the pressure with the touch of a finger.
- 24-hour timer. The unit automatically warms your food, and it is always ready any time you need it. It works as a microprocessor as it cooks food perfectly by monitoring and adjusting the amount of temperature inside. Thus, you are assured of delicious food any time of the day.
- Keep warm feature. Once you finish cooking your food, the Instant Pot IP Pressure Cooker automatically warms to keep your dish at a temperature of 74 Celsius. This gives you the ability to have your food reading and to wait and also reduces the risk of microorganism growth.
- Three adjustable modes. The three adjustable modes are important to provide varying food and taste conditions. There are also three temperatures in sauté mode which is used for browning, thickening, and simmering.
Advantages of the Instant Pot IP-DUO50
- Convenient and simple. The Instant Pot IP-DUO50 Pressure Cooker is a 7-in-1 programmable cooker. It also combines the different functions of a pressure cooker with other cooking apparatus. For instance, it works as a porridge cooker, yogurt maker, warmer, and slow stove.
- Leaks no steam and it is not noisy. The unit traps all the aromas in the food through the steam. Hence, the flavor of the food is maintained within the unit. It is not noisy hence does not annoy. It also cooks up food without heating up the surface on which it is placed thus protecting your counter top finishes.
- Elegant and durable. The unit is extremely durable and does not leave a coating residual. It is slim and designed with a smaller lid holder and footprint for both right and left-hand users. The design makes it easy to clean and efficient to use. The 3-ply bottom makes it durable. The unit is safe and easy to clean since it only has a few pieces to clean.
- Safe. The unit is carefully designed to eliminate any germ that may cause the food to spoil. It has also passed through the ULC and UL certification.
Things to Watch out For
Users should note that the unit produces more heat compared to the 2nd generation Instant Pot.
The dual pressure setting ensures that there is flexibility while cooking. The high pressure reduces the cooking time while the low pressure ensures that delicate food does not overcook.
Gowise USA 6-in-1 4-Quart
The Gowise 6-in-1 electric pressure cooker has been approved by ETL and holds up to four quarts. It measures eight ¾ inches in width and 12 inches in height. It operates at 800W, 50-60 Hz, and 120 volts. You will enjoy using it because it has a standardized removable cooking pot for quick, no hassle cleaning. It is also coated with non-stick DuPont Teflon. Included in the package are a plastic spoon, a stainless steel rack, and a plastic measuring cup.
Features of the Gowise USA 6-in-1 4-Quart
The 4-quart model is perfect for smaller sized meals. There are different functions that it can perform which include slow cook, low and high-pressure cooking and can be used as a steamer.
- Functional Design. This ensures that it is easily cleaned and prevents food from sticking. It also contains a safety lock on the lid which ensures that no odors escape from the unit. Cool touch handles allow you the ability to move the appliance even when it is warm. You do not have to worry about the steam escaping when it is pressurized because it has a self-lock feature along with a rubber casket.
- Safety valve and pressure regulator. The unit comes equipped with a safety valve and pressure regulator. You can regulate the pressure according to the food that you are cooking or the time that you want your food to cook for. It has a heating plate to keep your food warm longer after it is cooked.
- Programmable timer. You can set up the unit and continue to run errands all day. The programmable timer enables you to know what other tasks you can do within a specific period. It also means that you can cook as you perform other activities in your house. You do not have to spend all the time in the kitchen. Thus, you save your time.
Advantages of the Gowise USA 6-in-1 4-Quart
- A wide range of functions. Using this electric pressure cooker, you obtain a wide range of functions. You are in a position to cook both white and brown rice. Functions that the pressure cooker can carry out effectively include the likes of slow cooking, browning meat before cooking, and sautéing vegetables.
- Easy to use. Most of the pressure cookers in the current generation are a challenge to operate. Some have directions which are disorganized and complicated. However, for this unit, the instructions are straightforward and simple to understand.
- Easy to clean. This unit is coated with Teflon, which means you do not have to spend hours to clean it. You do not have to spend a lot of time scraping off bits of vegetables and meat as they won’t even stick to it in the first place unless you damage the Teflon coating.
- Versatile. It works effectively considering its lower price. For instance, you can brown meat to seal before pressurizing in the unit. You can also sauté the vegetables before you cook them. That means it can perform different functions.
Things to Watch out For
The aluminum Teflon-lined inner pot is a setback compared to the stainless steel because of the durability. Sometimes the release and pressure knob does not line up as it should.
The Gowise 6-in-1 Electric Stainless-steel Pressure Cooker/slow Cooker does not have a large capacity. It is ideal for preparing meals for 2 to 3 people such as in singles and small families.